Jan 2, 2002, the City of San Jacinto announced the placement of the Estudillo Mansion and the Francisco Heritage Park on the National Register of Historic Places and on the California Register of Historic Resources. This is only the third Riverside County site to receive this honor.
The Estudillo Mansion in 1890
The mansion was built in 1884 by Francisco Estudillo, Jr. The mansion and a twin mansion built by his brother Antonio Estudillo, near Soboba Hot Springs are all that remain of a 35,000 acre Mexican land grant given to their father, Jose Antonio Estudillo in 1842.
Francisco Estudillo was San Jacinto's first postmaster and was also appointed Mission Indian Agent for the Federal Government, responsible for 32 reservations in southern and central California. He was elected to the local school board and in 1890 was elected San Jacinto's second mayor, serving until 1892. Many of the Estudillo family married into other early famous California people such as the Pico family. There are many descendants and two reunions have been held at the mansion.
After passing through many owners, the mansion was purchased by the County of Riverside in 1992. It had been severely damaged by the Landers-Big Bear earthquakes on June 28 of that year. The County turned ownership over to the City of San Jacinto in 1998.
The Estudillo Mansion today
The Francisco Estudillo Heritage Park is the site of many city sponsored events, most notable is the 4th of July celebration, during which the mansion is open for tours. The Estudillo Mansion is open to the public every Saturday from 11 am to 4 pm. The San Jacinto Museum and grounds with Water Conservation Education Garden are open Friday – Sunday 11 am to 4 pm. For group tours of the mansion, please call Rebecca Schlosser at (951) 927-7367.
Also of Interest..